Five Counties Children’s Centre has been dedicated to supporting children and youth with physical, developmental and communications needs for nearly five decades. In partnership with families and communities, Five Counties provides outpatient and community-based services with the aim of enriching the independence and wellness of those it serves. This helps build the skills our clients need in everyday life such as walking and talking.
We treat clients from infancy to their late teens, offering physiotherapy, occupational therapy speech and language therapy and more. Five Counties provides treatment in schools, in the community and at its locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Cobourg, Campbellford ad Haliburton/Minden. We were incorporated in 1972 and opened in October 1975.
Our Action/Strategic Plan 2023-2025
Building Abilities for Life
Five Counties Children’s Centre is dedicated to working with families and community partners to provide innovative, evidence-based care for children and youth with physical, developmental and communication needs; enhancing their independence and enriching their quality of life.
- Our Families
- We respect the uniqueness of our clients and families. We believe people know themselves and their situations best. We believe in the strength of families.
- Our Staff
- We believe that our staff are our most valuable resource and have the right to work in a respectful, supportive and encouraging work environment.
- Our Communities
- We believe in the importance of our communities and their role as key partners in enhancing the lives of our clients and their families.
- Our Services
- We believe in excellence. Our clients deserve the highest standard of practice supported by current knowledge and evidence.
We believe that by working together and being accountable, we can make a difference.
Our Action Plan – 5 Key Themes
Bigger, bolder, better. At Five Counties Children’s Centre, the work we do for our children, youth and families is life-changing. Every day, we help enhance children’s independence, well-being and quality of life, while providing support and empowering families in our region. Our work is never done – and never more important! That’s why our new Action Plan (or Strategic Plan) for 2023-2025 is designed to help us move the needle so we can have next level impact for our staff, kids/clients, families and communities!
- Watch our ‘There Comes a Time’ video below to see why it’s time for Five Counties to take what we do to the next level.
As an organization, we’re focusing on five areas that can help us better support staff and have an even bigger role in providing quality, timely care in our communities. Our five central themes are: Workplace Culture and Talent, Awareness, Bigger Gifts and Support, Thought Leadership, and Personalized Care Plus.
Partnering for Success
At the Centre we have a team approach; the family is the key member of this team. This family-centred approach provides quality service in a supportive environment. For more information, please review our Family Centred Care Principles.
- in a family-centred approach that provides quality service in a supportive environment
- that families are equal partners in the planning and carrying out of services.
- that partnerships are based upon respect and open communication
- that service should be responsive to the needs of all family members
- that parents should have access to information regarding their child’s needs and treatment options
The Centre is a non-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and the City of Peterborough fund most of the services provided by the Centre. Additionally, the Centre provides School Health Support Services (therapy at school) under contract with the two local Access Centres.