Speech/Language Therapy

Speech Language Pathology Private Therapy List 7Mar2018Audiology Centres – Revised 22 Aug 2017Speech language therapy helps children with communication problems including feeding, swallowing, articulation, language, voice and stuttering.  Services are available to children up to the age of 6 with exceptions for some children with physical disabilities up to the age of 19.

If you are concerned about your child’s speech language development or hearing, please contact the Centre and make a referral to the Speech Language Therapy department for an assessment and request information on hearing assessments. If you are not sure if your child requires assistance in these areas, you may phone the Centre and speak to a Speech Language Therapist. Or you can call the Child Health Lines and discuss with a Public Health Nurse (Peterborough County-City Health Unit 705-743-1000 or for Haliburton, Northumberland and City of Kawartha Lakes 1-866-888-4577) or go to www.kidtalk.on.ca.

Childhood Permanent Hearing Impairment Program

The provincial government funds a universal program for children with permanent hearing impairments from birth to Grade One entry. This program includes:

Infant Hearing Screening: In hospital approximately 24 hours after birth, infants will have their hearing screened by a nurse. Children born with support from a midwife may also be screened by the midwife within a few days of their birth. Babies who ‘refer’ on the initial screening will be seen for follow-up at the community screening clinic and/or by the program’s audiologist.

If the baby does not get screened shortly after birth, the baby will be seen at a community clinic located at the Five Counties Children’s Centre sites. Babies identified with hearing loss or ‘at risk’ will be referred for follow-up services such as audiology, family support services, communication development services or further screening.

Permanent Childhood Hearing Impairment: This program includes children with permanent hearing impairments as diagnosed by an audiologist. Supports available to these children and their families include family support, communication development, audiology and hearing aid management.

If you are interested in seeing an audiologist, please review our List of Audiologists for Peterborough, Lindsay, Northumberland, Halburton and surrounding area.

For more information go to the  Tri-Regional Infant Hearing Program Website. Or call the Centre at 748-2337 ext. 270.

If you are interested in private speech therapy, please see our Speech Language Pathology Private Therapy List .

For information about speech month and one of the activities in Northumberland County, please click on this link:



show social media
close social media